12 Nutrition Tips for Time Strapped Athletes
- Stay hydrated. Carry a water bottle with you and use the thermal ones in the summer. Load them in your ar on long days so you have water all the time. Water is our most essential nutrient.
- Smoothies in thermal containers, or shaker mugs are great to have on hand.
- Freeze soups and take them in your suitcase when traveling ‚Äì they‚Äôll count as a solid if you have a carry-on!
- If traveling, do a search in advance for healthy restaurant choices.
- Take snacks with you at all times! Put almonds, raisins and dried coconut in a baggie, and keep it in your purse, gym bag, or other. Try other easy-to-carry snacks like jerky and dried apricots for post workouts. These snacks don‚Äôt go bad, but it‚Äôs always preferable to have something more fresh like apples, almonds, carrots, or your next meal.
- Make your own muffins or bars to eat after a long training day. You can control the ingredients!
- Start a crockpot meal before heading out for a long training day.
- Cook a big dinner the night before a big training blocks, use the leftovers for the next two days to ease yoru time commitments.
- Keep gu or chews that have caffeine in them in a pocket during longer workouts as they tend to be the best option for getting home if you bonk. The caffeine helps most people regain more energy and use fat for fuel.
- Take electrolytes with you during your workouts, and use them should the temperatures increase more than you expected.
- Drink 16-20 ounces of water upon waking. We are all typically dehydrated when we wake up.
- Give yourself about 90 ‚Äì 120 minutes cutoff time from drinking water before bed so that you use the restroom before going to bed.
Megan Forbes is a Registered Dietitian who received her degree from Colorado State University in Human Nutrition and Dietetics. Her post grad work was done in Boulder, Colorado through the University of Delaware. D3 athletes are fortunate to have her experience and wisdom to help guide their nutritional path as they navigate their training and racing!