Race Day Fueling Expert
“Nick’s help has been significant for me in terms of managing my sweat rate and GI issues. Shortly after working with him, I began to have improvements in training which led to better performances on race day. With the combination of my coach and Nick working together, I qualified for Kona in ’14 and ’16, achieved Ironman podiums and took my 5:34 run split to a PR of 3:12.”
– Brian L., 2x Kona Qualifier
Race Day Fueling Expert
Nick is a former scientist from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) where his primary responsibility was to support the GSSI physiology research program. As part of the innovation team, Nick supported research to help improve athlete recovery and performance. Primarily working in the human performance laboratory he incorporated components such as sports nutrition, sport psychology, exercise physiology, motor behavior, bio-mechanics, and strength and conditioning. His targeted research was testing elite professional athletes to enhance their hydration and nutrition intake to improve their performance.
He is passionate about emerging science in sports nutrition as it relates to physiological and performance responses. Areas of research Nick has been involved in include muscle recovery, athletic performance, carbohydrate metabolism, rehydration and dehydration, stress testing, body composition, gastric emptying, sensory perception, along with aerobic and anaerobic performance testing.
Nick’s expertise has been included on human performance advisory boards to improve and ensure quality exercise programs as well as clearly communicate nutritional assessments. Nick has formulated nutritional products for companies and consulted with elite endurance athletes on their nutritional intake for training as well as fueling for races.
He is currently working for Post Holdings, Active Nutrition Division, and has made himself available to D3 athletes for personal consulting for race day fueling. You are encouraged to learn more about Nick through his LinkedIn Profile.
AFFILIATES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- MS in Food Science and Human Nutrition from the University of Illinois
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN)
- Affiliations through the food science industry
- C-ISSN (certified sports nutritionist) pending
- Athletes having poor race day experiences or those who end up in the med tent from not understanding how they need to fuel on race day to succeed
- Food science
- Human Nutrition
- Exercise Physiology and Performance
- Carbohydrate and Protein Metabolish
- Helping athletes achieve PRs and helping some move over the threshold to Kona
- Improving race performances for athletes with special needs such as diabetes – acid reflux and cystic fibrosis
- Contributing to leading endurance publications to properly educate athletes on hydration and nutrition needs