A Coach Mike Favored Recipe
If you work full-time, have a family and train, finding time to make healthy dinners can be a challenge. This is one of my family’s favorite go-to recipes that achieves quality nutrition, covers the tastebuds of athletes and kids, and it is easy to make. I especially like to make it because my daughter and I work side-by-side on this one!
Honey Balsamic Grilled Chicken
This is from Shalane Flanagan’s “Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow”
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1) Take a gallon-sized Ziploc freezer bag and combine vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, and salt. Add the chicken, seal the bag, and massage to combine.
2) Place in the fridge and allow the chicken to marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
3) Remove chicken from the fridge 30 minutes prior to grilling.
4) Grill for 4 minutes per side or until nicely charred and chicken is at 165F on an instant-read thermometer.
5) Use a nonstick grill pan if you don’t have an outdoor grill.
“Add in a salad and you have a showstopping meal”, says Shalane.
Coach Mike Ricci is the Founder and Head Coach for D3 Multisport. He is a USAT Level III Elite Certified Coach, Ironman University Certified Coach and Training Peaks Level II Certified Coach. His coaching style is ‘process-focused’ vs. ‘results-focused.’ When working with an athlete, their understanding of how and why they are improving is always going to take precedence over any race result. Yes, there is an end goal, but in over 2 decades of coaching, experience has shown him that if you do the right work, and for the right reasons, the results will follow.